Friday, April 21, 2006

April 21, 2006


Today was a big day for Zach. The doctors decided it was finally time to try and extabate him. He went from the endotracheal tube in his throat to nasal CPAP which stands for Continuous Positive Airway Pressure. Nasal CPAP delivers air into his airway through a specially designed nasal mask. CPAP doesn't mechanically breath for him but provides continuous air pressure that makes it easier for him to inflate his lungs when he inhales. Unfortunately the CO2 in his blood (which is something they monitor regularly) climbed too high with the CPAP and he was re-intabated shortly after his extabation. We did however get to hear his voice for the first time ever which was quite an experience.

We're not sure what the next plan will be but we'll update as soon as we find out.

4 Comments:

Blogger i declare! charms said...

Jeff and I thought we would check to see if there were any updates before we went to bed tonight- and were thrilled to see such great news. We will consider this a step in the right direction! We continue to pray for his health and sucess in growing a strong little body. Lots of love from Aunt Annette, Uncle Jeff amd cousin Lincoln.

10:36 PM  
Blogger cookers said...

Well, this is another step towards hopefully a complete removal off the ventilator. We never tire of hearing how he is doing or seeing pictures of him growing and developing. We sure all of you all our love across the miles!

4:41 PM  
Blogger Joy said...

Tieryn - it was good to see you on Sunday. I'm sorry I've fallen so far out of the loop. I've periodically gotten updates from people in the ward, but I'm glad to go back and read the entire history. I'm so pleased that your surgery went well. Zach is a cutie and I'm so glad you're in a place with such good care. Take care and hello to Greg, too!

8:35 PM  
Blogger Shauna said...

Joy Layton just sent me the link for Zachary's site. I'm so glad that you have this! The picture of him reminds me so much of what Spencer looked like at birth. He was on a ventilator for about 2 weeks is all, though. It was so fun to hear his voice the first time--I'm glad that you got to hear Zach. We are praying for your family and hope that things continue to improve.
Shauna Jones and Family

6:28 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home