Monday, November 13, 2006

November 13, 2006

It is with heavy hearts that we provide this update. Zachary passed peacefully from this life today as we held him close in our arms. We had hoped to spend one more day with him, but following our family visit last night when Hailey and Clayton said their goodbyes, Zachary made it clear that he was ready to go. Since the time Zach's doctors communicated that his long term prognosis was not hopeful we had two desires, that we could hold him in our arms as he passed away and that if possible it would be on Zach's terms. Zach endured through the night and gave us both of our desires. When we arrived this morning the hospital staff informed us that he'd had a difficult night and they didn't know if he'd make it through another. We spent some wonderful moments with Zachary and let him know how much we love him before we finally let him go. We both knew the moment he passed and felt a peace that cannot be described.

Zachary's funeral services will be held on Friday, November 17, 2006 at the LDS church in Pflugerville. The address is 700 North Heatherwilde Boulevard, Plugerville, TX 78660. A viewing will be held from 9:00am to 10:45am. The funeral service will begin at 11:00am. In response to the many queries in lieu of flowers we ask that those interested to send donations to (In order for us to be able to designate how these funds are to be used please note that your donation is in memory of Zachary on your check):

Children's Medical Center Foundation of Central Austin
In Memory of Zachary Allen
1206 W 38th St Suite 4101
Austin, TX 78705-9919

It has been truly amazing to see how much we could learn from someone so young. We are so grateful that we were blessed to have this special little spirit be a part of our family for his short stint on earth. We know he is in a much better place now and is finally free from all of the tubes, wires, monitors and machines that have been a part of his everyday life. In his short nine months he touched so many lives. It was amazing to see all of the hospital staff that gathered to pray for us today and what an impact Zach has been in all of their lives. He truly was a remarkable little baby.

We will probably never be able to thank each of you enough for all of the love and support you have given to our family. You have been our strength during our time of need. Your posts, emails, and calls have helped more than you know. It is humbling to know how many prayers were uttered on our behalf throughout this experience. We have been blessed each step of the way. Thanks to each of you for helping us to make it through. We love you all.


Love,
Greg and Tieryn

21 Comments:

Blogger Joy said...

We wish we could be there....

Steve & I have been praying for you and will continue to do so. We hope this next week is bearable. What a blessing little Zach has been. You are right about him being free now. I just finished a book and one part of it keeps coming back to me. It describes us in heaven as our spirits describe our earth life, and the comment is that earth life will be hard, and we will be separated from the Father, and yet we will do everything we can to stay here and not return to the Father. I hope I've communicated that correctly. Anyway, I keep thinking that if we knew what we had to look forward to - we would be racing to get there. I guess that's the purpose of the veil. We are blessed to know as much as we know about what is ahead. Sweet Zachary won the race.

God be with you til you meet again...

With much love,
The Laytons

10:36 PM  
Blogger Shauna said...

Greg and Tieryn,

Our hearts are with you. It's so hard to know what to say because there's really nothing to say that can take away the loss in your lives, but I want to echo everyone else's sentiments that we are grateful that you have the vision of Heavenly Father's plan. Mike had a big brother that he never met--he was also born with lots of complications and only lived two problem-filled years. But, every time I talk about Matty with Mike's family, I feel of his strong spirit. He blessed Mike's parents' lives, and he has blessed our lives, our children's lives, and continues to be a presence in the Jones family. I know that Zach will do the same. Thank you so much for sharing Zach's life with us on this blog. We feel honored to have known him, even if we never met face to face. I wish so much that we could be there on Friday. I have tried to figure out a way to get down there, but to no avail. Please know that our thoughts and spirits will be with you this week and the ones that follow. It was nice to live next to Tieryn at BYU, and even nicer to get to know you all better in Texas. Please know that we love and grieve with you.

Sincerely,
Mike and Shauna Jones
and Annie, Spencer, and Sophie

6:49 AM  
Blogger Heidi said...

Hm I shouldn't read things like this while at work because then I start crying. Sounds like it was an amazing moment. I wish I could have been there. I also wish I could be there this weekend. I can't describe my sorrow at not being able to come. I will celebrate Zach's life on my own and I hope you can feel of my support from afar. I am excited to see him again one day and to also know that he will be watching over all the Allen family in the meantime and a wonderful presence in each of our lives. What an incredible thing to know he is with our father in heaven. At first I was sad that my kids would never know him but now I realize he is probably with them right now having a grand time. I love your family and thank you for sharing this amazing spirit and boy with us.

9:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you don't mind that I am commenting on this blog entry but I have also followed Zachary's life through links from Heidi's and Ashley's blogs and it has been a inspirational journey. Thank you for sharing his sweet life. My prayers are with you and I hope that you will find comfort and strength in the arms of your family and loved ones this week.

Cecily Horsley

12:32 PM  
Blogger Jeff & Angie said...

RD has kept me updated on Zachary's life and I have had your family in my thoughts and prayers. I just want to tell you how much I appreciate your incredible testimony of the gospel and the plan of salvation. I can feel your love for your son and your love for the Lord so strongly through your posts and it has made everything in life seem so much more clear.

Thank you,

Jeff

12:52 PM  
Blogger Sheyenne said...

Tieryn and Greg,
Thank you for taking the time to post even with all you are dealing with right now. I haven't wanted to bother you this week with all that's been happening, but please know that Dario and I have been thinking of you and praying for you just as so many other people have. Zachary was a beautiful child. Seeing his little smile in your pictures made me smile. He is blessed to have a family like yours, and you were blessed to have him as well. Please let me know if there is ANYTHING I can do to help. I'm not sure whether to step forward or step back right now, so I'm just going to hang back and give you space. But if the kids need a break from all the heavy feelings for a while, send them over here for a release.

Sheyenne

1:30 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

Tieryn, Greg -

It's a wonderfully small world that let me get to know you Tieryn, oh so many years ago, and have you and Greg become such good friends again in Texas. I am truly sorry that Zachary has gone after such a short time, and hope that you feel our support and love across the miles.

Take care -

- Steve Layton

2:08 PM  
Blogger Stacy said...

When I held Zach this weekend I asked him to give a hug to Carter. I am sure they are friends now. I also told him that I would always be a friend to his Mommy. Those two boys can now watch over us and laugh at the silly things we do on earth. We love your "Incredible" family and you will remain in our daily prayers.
Stacy and Family

2:40 PM  
Blogger Sam Hales said...

Greg and Tieryn,

I just checked your blog and read of the sad news. I'm amazed at your strength during such a difficult time. We will keep your family in our thoughts and prayers. Certainly you will continue to be blessed for your sacrifice and devotion. You're both such an example to us.

Sam and Adrienne

4:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sad to heard that...

I understand what's a hard time it is...all of us are praying for you.


Take care

Walter & IPO buyers

6:08 PM  
Blogger Ralphie said...

Although we have never met Zachary I know our lives has been changed for the better because of him. We will never forget his glowing smile. What a beautiful little baby. Thank you so much for sharing his precious life with us.

With much love,
Ralphie and Brian Jacobs

7:26 PM  
Blogger Kimberly said...

Our hearts are full of emotions for you and the family. I can't seem to find words to help take away the grief and sorrow, but I can tell you how happy it makes us to have had the opportunity to visit with Zachary. We will always cherish the memories of his beautiful smile, angelic sweet spirit and the special privilege of being able to visit him during his short mortal stay. Zachary’s beautiful journey here and the wonderful family he blessed will always inspire us to remember that a loving Heavenly Father has a plan that allows for families to be together forever! Our prayers continue for you all always!

With much love,
Huy and Kimberly
Tanner, Taylin, and Bubbas

3:11 PM  
Blogger Mandi said...

we are friends of Heidi and Ben's we just wanted to know our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. What special people and parents you must be to have been so blessed to have Zachary, such a choice child of God.

Bless you and your family,

Chris and Mandi Kirk

3:28 PM  
Blogger BGraves said...

Tieryn and Greg,

Brent and I would like to let you know how deeply sorry we are for your loss. Thank you for sharing this wonderful journel of Zachary's life with us. We have logged in many times over the last several months to follow his progress. It has touched us deeply! Your family has been in our prayers many times. We just want to say how much we admire your selflessness in making such a hard decision. As you know, Zachary is in a much better place! As parents we can not begin to imagine how hard this all must be. You guys are so strong to have endevered something so difficult!

Your family will continue to be in our prayers! Please let us know if we can help you in anyway!

Brent and Rebecca Graves

8:44 PM  
Blogger BGraves said...

Tieryn and Greg,

Brent and I would like to let you know how deeply sorry we are for your loss. Thank you for sharing this wonderful journel of Zachary's life with us. We have logged in many times over the last several months to follow his progress. He has touched us deeply! Your family has been in our prayers many times. We just want to say how much we admire your selflessness in making such a hard decision. As you know, Zachary is in a much better place! As parents we can not begin to imagine how hard this all must be. You guys are so strong to have endevered something so difficult!

Your family will continue to be in our prayers! Please let us know if we can help you in anyway!

Brent and Rebecca Graves

8:47 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Greg and Tieryn,

Heidi and Ben were in our ward in Austin and I read all about your little Zach last night and this morning, trying not to sob too much. It melted my heart when you recorded how you got to hear his laugh for the first time in September. What a little angel and joy he must have been.

You'll all be in my thoughts and prayers and I'm thankful that Zachary was able to brighten your lives for a short time. I'm sure he'll be there in spirit with you until you are reunited with him some day.

With deepest sympathy,
Kelly

6:55 AM  
Blogger Angela said...

Greg & Tieryn,

My condolences and prayers to you and your family.

I too have had the opportunity to go in and view the incredible life of Zach from time to time. Although I never met Zach..I have had the blessed privilege of sharing his life story with my own family. It's incredible because in his 9 months - he truly has touched so many lives (mine and my families included).

I am also blown away by your courage, your faith and commitment to preserving and nurturing your family in such a difficult time. Thanks for being great examples to all of us. Thank God for such awesome people! You are definitely my hero's! I pray that you continue to be blessed and encouraged! I love you guys.

Angela Bullock

11:40 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Allen Family,

You don't know us, we are friends of Ben and Heidi's. We have been following Zachary's updates and have been thinking of your family. This was a beautiful posting which we are grateful to have read. We can't fully understand all that you have gone through. But we found out yesterday at our 17 1/2 week appt that our baby had died also. We are hoping to find out the sex during the surgery next week. If it is a boy, we too are naming him Zachary as it means "memory, remebrance of the Lord." I know that your family, like ours, will always have a memory of him and that because of the Lord that you'll be with Zachary again. We are grateful like you to have the gospel in our lives and to be an eternal family. Please know that we will pray for you at this time and that our deepest condolences go out to all of you. We are so glad you got to hold him in your arms as he passed. What a precious and spiritual moment. Much love, The Adams Family

9:18 AM  
Blogger Bobbi said...

Dear Greg and Tieryn,
We send our deepest condolences to you on Zachary's passing away. We have followed his and your journey over the past year, since we spent Thanksgiving with you last November. You have strengthened all of us through your faith and endurance. Thank you for sharing Zach's story and letting us all feel a part of this difficult and yet sweet experience. It is a poignant reminder of the efforts we need to make to be able to live with our loved ones again someday. Our love and prayers will continue to be with you.
Sincerely,
Bobbi and Sherm Smith

9:38 AM  
Blogger Troy and Shauna said...

Greg and Tieryn,

Shauna and I have been following Zachary's Progress through this website and through information that we could get from Ralphie. Shauna cried a lot on Tuesday. Alana and Hanna were touched to tears as well. Everyone we know has been touched by little Zachary. Even family and friends that we have talked to that don't know you have been touched. We have spent a lot more time with the kids lately because of him. He has straitened out our perspective on many things.

We haven't wanted to bother you with all that you have going on and things that you have had to worry about. But we want you to know that Zachary has made a difference in our lives and we are grateful for him and for your example of faith and perserverance. We hope that we can live our lives such that we can meet him someday.

Thank you.
Troy and Shauna Peters, and Alana and Hanna.

10:57 PM  
Blogger bridget&james said...

Tieryn & Greg,
We are so sorry for your loss. My heart just aches for you. When I read before that Zachary was going to pass away and that the funeral was going to be on the 17th, I felt so much that I wanted to be there to give you my support. We checked into a few options, but just weren't able to do it. But I just want you to know that we are thinking about you and your family and hope that you are all doing well and for you to know that our hearts are with you. I am so amazed at how many lives your little Zachary has touched, but what else would I expect from a child of yours. Tieryn, you have always been an amazing person and even though I still don't know Greg as well as I know you, I have always thought he was a wonderful person.
Thank you so much for taking the time to post all that you did throughout Zacharys life. Obviously everyone got to know Zachary even without meeting him and got to know what a wonderful little person he was. We love you guys.
Love, The Bells

4:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home